What, me worry?

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Diary of the Dead (Yes, again!)

I garnered much criticism from my last post about this film because I mentioned too many movies. On in particular which I shall not mention, much, you know who you are and which film I speak of. (That doesn't read right, I know.) Here is the shortened down for the simple minded who had trouble with the last one. *cough* Joe *cough, cough* I'm not mentioning any names here.

In this film George Romero decided to start at the beginning of a zombie infestation and follow some film students who find themselves trapped in the middle. He uses the much done character carries the camera the whole time method in this film. Which I thought would be interesting to see Romero try out.

I know some say, what an ass, that guy is filming everything and not helping, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same. Why would the guy film it all and not help his friends getting attacked. This particular character is a documentary film maker, that's what he wants to do. I think this guy would have filmed no matter what disaster had happened.

It starts of with the main characters making a mummy movie. This is where Romero gets his chance to get his digs in on fast zombies. The guy playing the mummy moves too fast. The director says he's going to fast, dead things don't move fast. This is what I've been saying all along. If you are dead, you are rotting. You are still bound by the limitations your body was already bound by. Only more so, because you are dead and rotting hampers you a lot more. As I type this, that fact seems so obvious.

Anyway, while they are filming there is a news cast about the outbreak. Everyone gets scared and decide they want to go home, so they swing by the dorms and get one of the character's girlfriend and then they hit the road in a Winnebago. The mummy decides to go to his house because it's like a fortress and one of the girls go with him.

We follow the Winnebago through many ups and downs and wind up finding out home isn't always safe. I think though the idea of going home and the safety comes from the security they felt when they were growing up.

There are some really good characters and some bad ones. The girl from Texas was particularly annoying. She didn't seem genuine, like she was trying too hard or didn't really get her character.

Well once again we are faced with social commentary. This one being that in our society we see everything. Everything is filmed, caught on digital cameras, or some sort of medium. Then it is put out there for us to see. But also, he's trying to say, at least this is what I get out of it, the government manipulates the truth. But they can't really, can they? Just about everyone has a camera anymore.

This is getting too deep for me I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home