What, me worry?

Friday, April 29, 2005

News

News from Indianapolis,
Late last night they finally passed the whole daylight savings time bill.
So this time next year, who knows what time it will be.
There will be conferences with the Federal Government to decide what time zone we will be in. Which we will probably end up in the New York time zone which is exactly what we did not want. I'm sure this is the reason that so many of our representatives were against this. This is a Mid-Western state, why should be on Eastern time? That's how I feel about it.
Personally, I've never quite understand daylight-savings time. Probably because, I've never lived somewhere where they changed the time. It's probably just as hard for me to understand why we do it, as for people to understand why Indiana doesn't want to. In any case, it's still not a final thing until it actually happens. Maybe the Federal Government will tell us we have to be eastern if we want to be daylight-savings time, and maybe it will then be dropped.

The other news type item is we no longer have the Brickyard 400. It will now be called, the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, as a result of a multimillion-dollar sponsorship agreement announced Thursday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It's yet another bastardization of a public sporting event. I'm not suprised really, sponserships are a big part of these races. It's kind of awkward to say. I guess as long as they don't change the name of the INDY 500 I'm happy, it's been called that for about 75 years now.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:05 AM, May 02, 2005, Blogger nixonreed said…

    Daylight savings time is used for one reason. People are under the impression they get an extra hour of sunlight. Even though in the summer the days last longer. People believe it helps kids being out in the outdoors because there is more sunlight. All though again the days are longer in the summer. I actually heard a represanative say this will actually bring more jobs to Indiana how I don't fucking know. I have no problem with the selling of the name although it should be called Allstate's Brickyard 400 it makes more sense. There is money to be made and I would be a fool to tell them no don't make money. Good article, now do a article expalining the damn name.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, May 02, 2005, Blogger whitechoclatespacegg said…

    See, this is what I don't understand, the day is still the same length of time whether it is 7pm at 7pm or we change our clocks to say that it is a different time, it is still 7pm. and at our 7pm on eastern standard time, it will be later than that, hence it is still light when it is dark and earlier than our clocks say, and this is hurting my head right now. Supposedly, not being on daylight savings time is keeping big businesses away from here, not wanting to develop here. Funny, but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have some big businesses here who decided labor cost was too high so they relocated to Mexico? I don't see it myself.

    I'm not really mad about the sponsership thing, I just think that the name is awkward.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, May 08, 2005, Blogger joe said…

    You just don't want to change your clocks! Lazy!

    If the name is too awkward, don't say it! It's that easy!

     
  • At 12:10 AM, May 11, 2005, Blogger whitechoclatespacegg said…

    It's not lazy to not want to change your clocks, it's silly to have to just because the rest of the country is doing it....I mean, if New York jumped off of a building, would you do it too?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home