What, me worry?

Friday, August 26, 2005

Elevators

I wanted to take a break from all the reminiscing so here goes.

I was riding in an elevator just the other day when it struck me kind of funny.
Today people try really hard to avoid having to talk to other people. Such as, pay for gas at the pump so you don't have to go inside and pay a clerk, self-check out lanes at many stores. Yet, we will stand in a hallway and wait for these big doors to open, cram a bunch of people in a tiny room when the doors open, and then ride up together while people get off at their floors, all the while not saying a word to one another. In fact the more people that get off, the further apart people will move. Person A ends up in one corner while person be winds up diagonally in the other corner. This allows the riders to be as far apart as possible.
The other silly thing is that many buildings are designed with the elevators bay being part of the hallway. If a person wants to get to the other end of the building, one must walk around all the people waiting for the elevator. It is much like an obstacle course at times. Also while waiting for the elevator people will stand there staring off into space, avoiding eye contact with all other people waiting, so as to avoid any human contact whatsoever.

The other thing I thought was so funny with avoidance is, we try so hard to do it yet we will go into a room and pull our pants down to use the restroom with nothing more dividing us than a partition. I thought of this many times using public restrooms. It's so funny. Also people seem to like to talk on their cell phones on the toilet. I never talk on the phone while I'm on the toilet. Well except that time I got a bloody nose for no apparent reason, maybe it was really dry around then, but I couldn't get it to stop! It bled for hours so I called my mom. It's kind of scary when all that blood is coming out and you can't stop it. Only I wasn't on the toilet I was leaning over it so I wouldn't get blood everywhere. I don't know why I thought of it. Also I see so many people that don't wash their hands after going to the restroom. YUCK! Why not avoid people, if you touch them you might get a disease because they don't practice proper hygiene.

Anyway, I'll post my next ex post this weekend.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:22 AM, August 28, 2005, Blogger joe said…

    I love asking people questions while riding in the elevator. It is also amusing to walk down the hallways and look people in the eye and say "Hello" Try it!

     
  • At 4:56 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger whitechoclatespacegg said…

    I know a lady who was walking into the City-County Building once and walked past a woman, smiled and said good morning. She heard the woman say to her back. Who the heck are you and where do you get off talking to and looking at me?

     
  • At 1:57 AM, August 30, 2005, Blogger joe said…

    Sounds like you have a problem! You should stop saying that to people who say hi to you!

     
  • At 4:38 PM, August 30, 2005, Blogger whitechoclatespacegg said…

    She had it coming and I'd do it again! There was a whole other woman who came in another day and she told me that she said hi to this guy on the street and he then confused her with someone he was meeting and followed her into the City-County Building. He came in the room and sat next to her, realized she was the wrong person and walked out....Fun place....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home