What, me worry?

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Pride and Prejudice

I'm a little behind in my movie reviewing I guess. I said that I saw Pride and Prejudice. Now what did I think about it?
Oddly, I didn't hate it. I didn't really think that I would but I liked it better than I thought I would.

When I heard Kiera Knightly was to play the part of Elizabeth Bennet, I couldn't believe it I would never have thought of her for that part. But she was alright except for the fact that she doesn't really have the build for the period in which the movie was set although they seemed to try. The costuming bugged me.

What we had here was a movie version of the book that is more of an interpretation than a faithful adaptation. They show the Bennetts' in a more impoverished environment, they are even more unrefined, and for some reason, Lizzie is more isolated than ever. She didn't have the relationship with Jane portrayed in many other adaptations I have seen, or as my sister and I discussed, the relationship they had in the book. Mr and Mrs Bennet's relationship seemed as though they were closer. There wasn't the cruelness towards his wife he'd shown before.

Oh yeah, and Darcy wasn't really Darcy. But he was hot.....


That said it's not a bad movie. I enjoyed it. I even cried a little at the end..... But if you are a big Pride and Prejudice fan and think they should strictly follow the story it's probably not for you.

Other recent adaptations of this book fans might want to see are,

Pride & Prejudice (2003) This movie translates the story to an American College town. It follows Elizabeth Bennet in college living with four other girls, but not her sisters. It is really silly and worth a watch.

Bride and Prejudice (2005)This movie is a Bollywood adaptation, but it's also British and American. The themes of the story translate very well into modern Indian society. In this one Lalita (Lizzie), has only three sisters, Kitty and Lydia being rolled into one girl. This film is visually stunning and a lot of fun, it had us wanting to get up and dance.

My favorite Pride and Prejudice is however the BBC Adaptation from 1994 the miniseries starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I mean hello, he jumps in the river in a white shirt, and walks out of it soaking wet right up to an unsuspecting Lizzie and is caught off guard himself because he didn't know she'd be there. That's reason enough to see it right there, uh, for the ladies anyway, or men too, whatever floats your boat. Colin Firth is my favorite Darcy I mean, check him out:


Another brilliant adaptation is Bridget Jone's Diary. Not a strict adaptation at all, I read the book several times, I loved it, and then the movie, and the next book and the sequel, yeah, fabulous. And Colin Firth as Mark Darcy. That was fabulous. In the book Bridget had a thing for Colin Firth as Mr Darcy in the 1994 Mini-series and in the second book she even interviewed Colin Firth always of course in true Bridget fashion returning to his role as Mr Darcy and the wet shirt scene. So they had an extra on the DVD with Renee as Bridget interviewing Colin Firth as Colin Firth. Lot's of fun.

Tomorrow I might do a review on RENT.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home