What, me worry?

Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Current Part 2

My relationship with Jeff is the one I call my first grown up relationship. Perhaps it is because it was at this time I decided to stop moping around like a big baby and actually try and get out of the gigantic rut I dug for myself. Long story short, in case you don't know me, I decided it would be a good idea to drop out of college being bored with the whole college thing after only a year and a half. So basically my life was work all night sleep all day. No boyfriend no nothing, so I discovered the chat room. That of course was unfulfilling. Especially when somebody started hacking people's handle's and got my phone number off the system somehow and called me on my house phone. Nothing happened just some bored kids from somewhere far away. How do I get so off point? I have no clue. The point is my life was a big nothing. There I was nearing mid 20's with nothing to show for my life but well, no there was nothing. I didn't even have a driver's license.

Then I meet Jeff, don't give him a chance then we got thrown together so often. So why not date him. He's 11 years older than me. Not that I've ever been concerned by things like that. The only person in my life that mentioned it was my grandmother. She met him at my older brother's wedding and pulled me aside and asked, "Did you know that he's bald?" What do you say to that? It was one of those questions that grandmother's ask that you can only think to say nothing because you don't want to be rude to your grandmother. So I of course said, "Yeah, he was born that way." She then had to ask,"How old is he?" She thought since he was bald he must be at least 20 years older than me. Not! Actually he started balding when he was in college. The age gap isn't so big really when you think about it. It's only gross when you think when I was 8 he was going to prom. When I was 6 he'd learned to drive and was dating.

We went from dating to actually being a couple one night when we took Jennifer out for dinner for her birthday to Chili's in Greenwood. The three of us went back to his place. I had a few drinks, I believe in those days I was drinking long islands and black russians, I was a little drunk, it might have been margaritas that night, I really can't remember. Somehow he and I wound up in his bed. So basically I'm a terrible person. Sue me. My sister was depressed and lonely and I had sex for the first time with my new boyfriend while she slept on the couch in the living room. Shame on me. Whatever. I don't know if I handled things at that time exactly right, I was totally screwed up and trying to get my life back on track. I guess I'm still working on that. After that night things with Jennifer weren't quite the same. They never have been since.

He and I were drinking quite a bit in those days. Our favorite place to go out was The Hollywood Bar and Filmworks. You get to eat drink AND watch a movie. My favorite things to do in life those days. We even took my parents a couple of times. My Dad thought it was great especially when Jeff shared a bucket of beer with him.

We also discovered we shared a love of thrift store shopping. Goodwill was where we spent a lot of time. He knew where there was a Goodwill on every side of town.

Soon, at work, the load got heavier. He got permission to hire on some extra help to pick up the slack. And the owner said to just find someone reliable. So he hired me. The job was to go to the Indiana Secretary of State Business Services Division and make photo copies of UCC liens from the UCC searches that we had orders for. The position eventually became permanent. Though the job description changed when the Secretary of State launched it's on-line system and kicked all the service companies out because we could just print our UCC searches off on our computers in the comfort of our offices. So I do something totally different now. I gather court records at the City County building as well as I help with the corporate filings at the Secretary of State. This is what I would call the end of the honeymoon period for our relationship. Not that that's a bad thing.

Sadly the beginning always ends which brings us to the middle, and the end of this post. I have decided to make this a series because you can't this whole relationship into one post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home